DIRECTIONS FOR THE FABRICATION OF A PROBE FOR THE MEASUREMENT OF PLATE SPACING IN PLATE-TYPE FUEL ELEMENTS
- Dismuke, S. E.
- United States : [publisher not identified], 1962
[Oak Ridge, Tennessee] : [U.S. Atomic Energy Commission], 1962
- Physical Description:
- microopaque : positive ; 8 x 13 cm
- A probe for measurement of the space between fuel plates in high-burnup MTR-type fuel elements by eddycurrent techniques is described/su The sensing section is supported near the end of a flattened stainless steel tube into which a rectangular hole was cut to receive it/su The sensing section consists essentially of two slightly bowed springs, the midsections of which protrude slightly above the upper and lower surfaces of the flattened tube. Each spring- carries a section of a ball bearing as the contact point/su It is these two slightly bowed springs that serve as expanding calipers sensing variations in the spacing between adjacent plates. Essentially the rest of the probe is a long handle to permit probing and a conduit for the electrical leads. A two-wire shielded cable is firmly attached to the unflattened end of the probe and then attached to a modified Wheatstone bridge, from which the output is fed into a chart recorder. (M.C.G.)
- Report Numbers:
- Other Subject(s):
- U.S. Atomic Energy Commission depository collection.
- DOE contract number: W-7405-ENG-26
NSA number: NSA-16-014841
OSTI Identifier 4793757
Research organization: Oak Ridge National Lab. (ORNL), Oak Ridge, TN (United States).
View MARC record | catkey: 42232044