EVALUATION OF SUBSIZE IZOD SPECIMEN DESIGNS FOR DETERMINING THE NOTCH TOUGHNESS OF ZIRCALOY-2.
- Prislinger, J. J.
- United States : [publisher not identified], 1962
[Oak Ridge, Tennessee] : [U.S. Atomic Energy Commission], 1962
- Physical Description:
- microopaque : positive ; 8 x 13 cm
- Correlations were made on Zircaloy-2 Izod impact data and Charpy-V drop- weight data. Subsize Izod impact specimens of various geometries and notch configurations and standard ASTM Charpy-V specimens were prepared from bar and plate stock and tested. Drop-weight tests were also conducted and the NDT (nil- ductility transition) temperature was determined for 1/2 in. Zircaloy-2 plate. Results show that the impact properties of Zircaloy-2 are sensitive to hydrogen concentration, specimen and notch geometry, and specimen and notch orientation. No subsize specimen design was found which yielded impact curves similar to those obtained with standard Charpy-V notch specimens, but designs suitable for in- pile testing were found. It was found that Zircaloy-2 has the property of arresting a moving crack even at temperatures of --100 deg C and lower. (P.C.H.)
- Report Numbers:
- Other Subject(s):
- U.S. Atomic Energy Commission depository collection.
- DOE contract number: W-7405-ENG-26
NSA number: NSA-16-032119
OSTI Identifier 4785542
Research organization: Oak Ridge National Lab. (ORNL), Oak Ridge, TN (United States).
View MARC record | catkey: 42232126