Pious pursuits : German Moravians in the Atlantic World / edited by Michele Gillespie and Robert Beachy
- New York : Berghahn Books, 2007.
- Physical Description:
- vi, 267 pages : illustrations, maps ; 24 cm.
- Additional Creators:
- Gillespie, Michele
Full Text available online
By special arrangement in response to the COVID-19 pandemic, patrons may access this resource online through the HathiTrust Emergency Temporary Access Service.
- European expansion & global interaction ; v. 7
- The birth of moravianism : confession and culture -- Imperial communities / Mack Walker -- Manuscript missions in the age of print : Moravian community in the Atlantic world / Robert Beachy -- Deep in the side of Jesus : the persistence of Zinzendorfian piety in colonial America / Craig D. Atwood -- Moravian physicians and their medicine in colonial North America : European models and colonial reality / Renate Wilson -- Moravian culture and society : identity and assimilation -- Fashion passion : the rhetoric of dress within the eighteenth-century Moravian Brethren / Elisabeth Sommer -- New birth in a new land : evangelical culture and the creation of an American identity / S. Scott Rohrer -- "Commerce that the Lord could sanctify and bless" : Moravian participation in transatlantic trade, 1740-1760 / Katherine Carté Engel -- Piety and profit : Moravians in the North Carolina backcountry market, 1770-1810 / Emily Conrad Beaver -- Moravians, the market and a new order in Salem / Michael Shirley -- Race and gender in the Moravian Church : a Protestant exceptionalism? -- "No one should lust for power ... women least of all" : dismantling female leadership among eighteenth-century Moravians / Beverly P. Smaby -- The role of the pastor's wife in the pioneering generation of Protestant German-speaking clergy in the American colonies / Marianne S. Wokeck -- Unlikely sisters : Cherokee and Moravian women in the early nineteenth century / Anna Smith -- Moravian missions in times of emancipation : conversion of slaves in Suriname during the nineteenth century / Ellen Klinkers -- Slavery, race, and the global fellowship : religious radicals confront the modern age / Jon Sensbach -- Conclusion -- Moravians and the challenge of writing global history of diasporic Christianity / A.G. Roeber.
- 9781845453398 (hardback : alk. paper)
1845453395 (hardback : alk. paper)
- Bibliography Note:
- Includes bibliographical references (pages -256) and index.
View MARC record | catkey: 4310272