Besides the Bible : 100 books that have, should, or will create Christian culture / Dan Gibson, Jordan Green, John Pattison
- Gibson, Dan
- Downers Grove, IL : InterVarsity Press, 
- Copyright Date:
- Physical Description:
- 1 online resource
- Additional Creators:
- Green, Jordan and Pattison, John
- Title Page; Copyright Page; Dedication; Contents; Introduction; The Apocrypha; Sayings of the Desert Fathers and Mothers; City of God, Confessions by Augustine of Hippo; The Rule of St. Benedict; The Divine Comedy by Dante; The Cloud of Unknowing; The Little Flowers of St. Francis; Institutes of the Christian Religion by John Calvin; Foxe's Book of Martyrs by John Foxe; Don Quixote by Miguel de Cervantes; The Practice of the Presence of God by Brother Lawrence; Paradise Lost by John Milton; Pilgrim's Progress by John Bunyan; Gulliver's Travels by Jonathan Swift., Fear and Trembling by Søren KierkegaardThe Scarlet Letter by Nathaniel Hawthorne; On the Origin of Species by Charles Darwin; Orthodoxy, St. Thomas Aquinas, St. Francis of Assisi by G.K. Chesterton; The Kingdom of God Is Within You by Leo Tolstoy; The Cost of Discipleship by Dietrich Bonhoeffer; The Mind of the Maker by Dorothy Sayers; The Little Prince by Antoine Saint-Exupery; The Fountainhead by Ayn Rand; The Seven Storey Mountain by Thomas Merton; The Lion, the Witch and the Wardrobe by C.S. Lewis; The Long Loneliness by Dorothy Day; East of Eden by John Steinbeck., Man's Search for Meaning by Viktor FranklThe Pursuit of God by A.W. Tozer; To Kill a Mockingbird by Harper Lee; The Last Temptation of Christ by Nikos Kazantzakis; A Grief Observed by C.S. Lewis; Franny and Zooey by J.D. Salinger; A Wrinkle in Time by Madeleine L'Engle; Strength to Love by Martin Luther King Jr.; The Giving Tree by Shel Silverstein; Silence by Shusaku Endo; God's Smuggler by Brother Andrew; The God Who Is There by Francis Schaeffer; The Norton Anthology of Poetry; The Hiding Place by Corrie Ten Boom; The Complete Stories by Flannery O'Connor., No Compromise: The Life Story of Keith Green by Melody Green (with David Hazard)A Theology of Liberation by Gustavo Gutiérrez; Knowing God by J.I. Packer; Pilgrim at Tinker Creek by Annie Dillard; All We're Meant to Be by Nancy Hardesty and Letha Scanzoni; Celebration of Discipline: The Path to Spiritual Growth by Richard J. Foster; A People's History of the United States by Howard Zinn; The Collected Stories of Eudora Welty; Amusing Ourselves to Death by Neil Postman; This Present Darkness by Frank Peretti; Desiring God: Meditations of a Christian Hedonist by John Piper., and Anarchy and Christianity by Jacques EllulA Prayer for Owen Meany by John Irving; From Brokenness to Community by Jean Vanier; Body Politics: Five Practices of the Christian Community Before the Watching World by John Howard Yoder; The Brothers K by David James Duncan; Scandal of the Evangelical Mind by Mark Noll; Life After God by Douglas Coupland; Left Behind by Tim LaHaye and Jerry Jenkins; The Cloister Walk by Kathleen Norris; Exclusion and Embrace by Miroslav Volf; The Divine Conspiracy by Dallas Willard; The Call: Finding and Fulfilling the Central Purpose of Your Life by Os Guinness.
- This book is a guide to the really great books that you "should" read - ones that matter. Covering a wide array of subjects and authors, from Christian bookstore bestsellers to classics of Christian history and more, you'll find yourself agreeing with some titles, shaking your head at others, and even shocked by a few. This isn't a dry catalog with dull summaries of books authored by a bunch of dead guys. Dan Gibson, Jordan Green, and John Pattison, along with an outstanding team of some of today's most interesting Christian thinkers (including Donald Miller, Phyllis Tickle, Steve Taylor, and William P. Young) will reignite your love for reading, or if you're a little lazy, give you enough information to make it seem like you're incredibly well read. -- from back cover.
- 9781461942085 (electronic bk.)
146194208X (electronic bk.)
View MARC record | catkey: 43130824