Outward appearances : the female exterior in Restoration London / Will Pritchard
- Pritchard, Will, 1965-
- Lewisburg : Bucknell University Press, 
- Copyright Date:
- Physical Description:
- 266 pages : illustrations ; 24 cm.
- Introduction: outward appearances -- The problem of female legibility -- The promise of female legibility -- The playhouse -- The park -- The new exchange.
- English literature—Early modern, 1500-1700—History and criticism
- Women in literature
- Public spaces in literature
- Men—Attitudes—England—London—History—17th century
- Women—Public opionion—England—London—History—17th century
- Femininity in literature
- Body image in literature
- London (England)—Social life and customs—17th century
- 9780838756881 (alk. paper)
0838756883 (alk. paper)
- A cultural study of how men in Restoration London, view women through their outward physical appearances and through their increased appearances in public places. Based on literary and non-literary texts from the years 1650-1700.
- Bibliography Note:
- Includes bibliographical references (pages 244-261) and index.
View MARC record | catkey: 4321600