In township tonight! : South Africa's Black city music and theatre / David Coplan
- Coplan, David B. (David Bellin)
- Chicago : University of Chicago Press, 2008.
- 2nd ed.
- Physical Description:
- xvi, 455 pages, 16 unnumbered pages of plates : illustrations (some color), maps ; 25 cm.
- Introduction : in township last night -- City life and performing arts in nineteenth-century South Africa -- Black Johannesburg, 1900-1920 -- Black performance culture between the world wars : the 'rank and file' -- Black performance culture between the world wars: the 'situations' -- Sophiatown : culture and community, 1940-1960 -- Township music and musicians, 1960-1980 -- Twenty years of Black theatre : the struggle for Black city culture -- The darkness and the dawn : Black popular music since 1980 -- Jazz and other (con)fusions since 1990 -- Out of the townships tonight : emerging South African theatre -- Conclusion : in township tomorrow night.
- 9780226115665 (cloth : alk. paper)
9780226115672 (pbk. : alk. paper)
0226115666 (cloth : alk. paper)
0226115674 (pbk. : alk. paper)
- "First published by Longman, Inc. and Ravan Press in 1985"--T.p. verso.
- Bibliography Note:
- Includes bibliographical references and index.
View MARC record | catkey: 4359614