Curiosity and enlightenment : collectors and collections from the sixteenth to the nineteenth century / Arthur MacGregor
- MacGregor, Arthur, 1941-
- New Haven [Conn.] ; London : Yale University Press, 
- Copyright Date:
- Physical Description:
- x, 386 pages : illustrations (some color) ; 28 cm
Full Text available online
By special arrangement in response to the COVID-19 pandemic, patrons may access this resource online through the HathiTrust Emergency Temporary Access Service.
- The museum adumbrated : some models and precursors -- The cabinet of curiosities : concept and realization -- Collecting art -- Museums and the natural world -- Death, anatomy and the museum -- Antiquity in transition -- Museums of science and technology -- The museum comes of age.
- "This fascinating book offers a history of museum collecting in western Europe over the course of its formative centuries, tracing its origins from the culture of collecting that emerged during the Renaissance and concluding with the great changes of the nineteenth century which would prove so influential to the museum movement of later years." http://www.loc.gov/catdir/enhancements/fy0833/2007037995-d.html.
- 9780300124934 (cloth : alk. paper) and 0300124937 (cloth : alk. paper)
- Bibliography Note:
- Includes bibliographical references (pages 347-370) and index.
View MARC record | catkey: 4395461