Engraving the savage : the New World and techniques of civilization / Michael Gaudio
- Gaudio, Michael
- Minneapolis : University of Minnesota Press, 
- Copyright Date:
- Physical Description:
- xxv, 207 pages : illustrations ; 26 cm
- Introduction: White pebbles in the dark forest -- Savage marks: the scriptive techniques of early modern ethnography -- Making sense of smoke: engraving and ornament in de Bry's America -- Flatness and protuberance: reforming the image in Protestant print culture -- The art of scratch: wood engraving and picture-writing in the 1880s.
- 9780816648467 (hc : alk. paper)
0816648468 (hc : alk. paper)
9780816648474 (pb : alk. paper)
0816648476 (pb : alk. paper)
- Bibliography Note:
- Includes bibliographical references (pages 167-199) and index.
View MARC record | catkey: 4395480