The philosophy of medicine reborn : a Pellegrino reader / Edmund D. Pellegrino ; edited by H. Tristram Engelhardt, Jr., and Fabrice Jotterand
- Pellegrino, Edmund D., 1920-2013
- Notre Dame, Ind. : University of Notre Dame Press, 
- Copyright Date:
- Physical Description:
- xvii, 451 pages : portrait ; 23 cm.
- Additional Creators:
- Engelhardt, H. Tristram (Hugo Tristram), Jr., 1941-
Jotterand, Fabrice, 1967-
- Notre Dame studies in medical ethics
- What the philosophy of medicine is -- Philosophy of medicine: should it be teleologically or socially construed? -- The internal morality of clinical medicine: a paradigm for the ethics of the helping and healing professions -- Humanistic basis of professional ethics -- The commodification of medical and health care: the moral consequences of a paradigm shift from a professional to a market ethic -- Medicine today: its identity, its role, and the role of physicians -- From medical ethics to a moral philosophy of the professions -- Moral choice, the good of the patient, and the patient's good -- The four principles and the doctor-patient relationship: the need for a better linkage -- Patient and physician autonomy: conflicting rights and obligations in the physician-patient relationship -- Character, virtue, and self-interest in the ethics of the professions -- Toward a virtue-based normative ethics for the health professions -- The physician's conscience, conscience clauses, and religious belief: a Catholic perspective -- The most humane of the sciences, the most scientific of the humanities -- The humanities in medical education: entering the post-evangelical era -- Agape and ethics: some reflections on medical morals from a Catholic Christian perspective -- Bioethics at century's turn: can normative ethics be retrieved? -- Toward an expanded medical ethics: the Hippocratic ethic revisited -- Medical ethics: entering the post-Hippocratic era.
- 9780268038342 (pbk. : alk. paper)
0268038341 (pbk. : alk. paper)
- Bibliography Note:
- Includes bibliographical references and index.
View MARC record | catkey: 4446549