Revenge drama in European Renaissance and Japanese theater : from Hamlet to Madame Bufferfly / edited by Kevin J. Wetmore, Jr.
- New York, N.Y. ; Basingstoke, England : Palgrave Macmillan, 2008.
- 1st ed.
- Physical Description:
- viii, 289 pages ; 22 cm
- Additional Creators:
- Wetmore, Kevin J., Jr., 1969-
- Introduction: "Thinking upon revenge" / Kevin J. Wetmore, Jr. -- pt. 1. Revenge contexts and comparisons. Closed and open societies: the revenge dramas of Japan, Spain, and England / Leonard C. Pronko -- Unsexed and disembodied: female avengers in Japan and England / Carol Fisher Sorgenfrei -- "Avenge me!": ghosts in English renaissance and Kabuki revenge dramas / Kevin J. Wetmore, Jr. -- Kabuki parodies of blood revenge / Laurence Kominz -- Revenge on screen: Imai Tadashi's Night drum / Keiko McDonald -- Censoring vengeance: revenge dramas and tragedies during the Allied Occupation of Japan / David Jortner -- pt. 2. Chūshingura: east and west. The horizontal Chūshingura: western translations and adaptations prior to World War II / Aaron M. Cohen -- Chūshingura in the 1980s: rethinking the story of the Forty-seven Rōnin / Henry D. Smith II -- Appendix: Chūshingura-related books of the1980s. One legacy of Madame Butterfly: Chūshingura as a contemporary opera / J. Thomas Rimer -- Gender construction and Chūshingura as a Japanese national legend / Junko Saeki -- "The play's the thing": cross-cultural adaptation of revenge plays thorugh traditional drama / Kevin J. Wetmore, Jr.
- 9780230602892 (hbk.) and 0230602894 (hbk.)
- Bibliography Note:
- Includes bibliographical references (pages -284) and index.
View MARC record | catkey: 4449074