Analytic support to intelligence in counterinsurgencies / Walter L. Perry, John Gordon IV.
- Perry, Walt L.
- Santa Monica, CA : RAND, 2008.
- Physical Description:
- xxv, 57 pages : illustrations ; cm
- Additional Creators:
- Gordon, John, 1956-, International Security and Defense Policy Center, National Defense Research Institute (U.S.), Rand Corporation, and United States. Department of Defense. Office of the Secretary of Defense
Full Text available online
By special arrangement in response to the COVID-19 pandemic, patrons may access this resource online through the HathiTrust Emergency Temporary Access Service.
- Introduction -- The nature of modern insurgency -- The dominance of intelligence -- The analytic questions -- Intelligence analysis -- Conclusions.
- Operations in Iraq and Afghanistan have shown that U.S. forces need more-effective techniques and procedures to conduct counterinsurgency. It is likely that U.S. forces will face similar, irregular warfare tactics from future enemies that are unwilling to engage in conventional combat with U.S. forces. This monograph examines the nature of the contemporary insurgent threat and provides insights on using operational analysis techniques to support intelligence operations in counterinsurgencies. The authors examine the stages of an insurgency and discuss the kinds of intelligence that are needed at each stage. A number of techniques--pattern discernment and predictive analysis, for example--appear to show promise of being useful to intelligence analysis. The authors also explore two closely connected methods in depth to examine the interactions between friendly and enemy forces: game theory and change detection.
- 9780833044563 (pbk. : alk. paper) and 0833044567 (pbk. : alk. paper)
- "RAND National Defense Research Institute." and "This research was conducted within the International Security and Defense Policy (ISDP) Center of the RAND National Defense Research Institute"--Pg. Iv.
- Bibliography Note:
- Includes bibliographical references (pages 55-57).
- Other Forms:
- Also available on the internet via WWW in PDF format.
- Funding Information:
- Office of the Secretary of Defense. W74V8H-06-C-0002. ND200 9J22. ND200 5620
View MARC record | catkey: 4501581