Signs and voices : deaf culture, identity, language, and arts / Kristin A. Lindgren, Doreen DeLuca, and Donna Jo Napoli, editors
- Washington, DC : Gallaudet University Press, 2008.
- 1st ed.
- Physical Description:
- xxii, 246 pages : illustrations ; 26 cm + 1 DVD-ROM (4 3/4 in.)
- Additional Creators:
- Lindgren, Kristin A.
Napoli, Donna Jo, 1948-
Full Text available online
By special arrangement in response to the COVID-19 pandemic, patrons may access this resource online through the HathiTrust Emergency Temporary Access Service.
- Introduction / Kristin A. Lindgren, Doreen DeLuca, and Donna Jo Napoli -- Culture and identity -- Scientific explanation and other performance acts in the reorganization of DEAF / Tom Humphries -- Who am I? Deaf identity issues / Irene W. Leigh -- Think-between: a deaf studies commonplace book / Brenda Jo Brueggemann -- "I thought there would be more Helen Keller": History through deaf eyes and narratives of representation / Kristen Harmon -- Bioethics and the deaf community / Teresa Blankmeyer Burke -- Language and literacy -- Cognitive and neural representations of language: insights from sign languages of the deaf / Heather P. Knapp and David P. Corina -- Children creating core properties of language: evidence from an emerging sign language in Nicaragua / Ann Senghas, Sotaro Kita, and Aslı Özyürek -- Well, "what" is it? Discovery of a new particle in ASL / Carol Neidle and Robert G. Lee -- Success with deaf children: how to prevent educational failure / Ronnie B. Wilbur -- English and ASL: classroom activities to shed some light on the use of two languages / Shannon Allen -- A bilingual approach to reading / Doreen DeLuca and Donna Jo Napoli -- American Sign Language in the arts -- Body/text: sign language poetics and spatial form in literature / H-Dirksen L. Bauman -- Tree tangled in tree: re-siting poetry through ASL / Michael Davidson -- Nobilior est vulgaris: Dante's hypothesis and sign language poetry / David M. Perlmutter -- Flying words: a conversation between Peter Cook and Kenny Lerner -- Visual Shakespeare: Twelfth Night and the value of ASL translation / Peter Novak -- ASL in performance: a conversation with Adrian Blue.
- 9781563683633 (alk. paper)
1563683636 (alk. paper)
- Bibliography Note:
- Includes bibliographical references and index.
- Technical Details:
- System requirements for accompanying DVD-ROM: For PC: Windows 2000 or higher, Pentium 2 processor or equivalent, 400 MHz, 64 MB RAM, DVD drive, sound card, direct X5 ; For MAC: OS 9, G3, 400 MHz, 64 MB RAM, DVD drive, sound card, direct X5.
View MARC record | catkey: 4544348