Oceans and health [electronic resource] : pathogens in the marine environment / edited by Shimshon Belkin and Rita R. Colwell
- Pathogens in the sea: an overview / Colin B. Munn -- Diversity, sources, and detection of human bacterial pathogens in the marine environment / Janelle R. Thompson, Luisa A. Marcelino, and Martin F. Polz -- Biotic and abiotic effects / Lester W. Sinton -- Survival of enteric bacteria in seawater: molecular aspects / Yael Rozen and Shimshon Belkin -- Human pathogenic viruses in the marine environment / Albert Bosch, F. Xavier Abad, and Rosa M. Pinto -- Survival of viruses in the marine environment / Charles P. Gerba -- Zoonotic protists in the marine environment / Ronald Fayer and James M. Trout -- Marine and estuarine harmful algal blooms: impacts on human and animal health / Jan Landsberg, Fran Van Dolah, and Gregory Donelli -- Vibrio vulnificus / James D. Oliver -- Vibrio parahaemolyticus--seafood safety and associations with higher organisms / Firdausi Qadri ... [et al.] -- Global microbial ecology of vibrio cholerae / Rita R. Colwell -- Gram-positive bacteria in the marine environment / Maria del mar Lleo, Caterina Signoretto, and Pietro Canepari -- Fecal contamination in coastal areas: an engineering approach / M. Pommepuy ... [et al.] -- Retention of pathogenicity in viable nonculturable pathogens / Iddya Karunasagar and Indrani Karunasagar -- Thalassogenic infectious diseases caused by wastewater pollution of the marine environment / Hillel Shuval -- Bacterial pathogens of marine fish / Brian Austin -- Microbial diseases of corals / E. Rosenberg and Y. Barash -- Aquacultures and animal pathogens in the marine environment with emphasis on marine shrimp viruses / Jeffrey M. Lotz, Robin M. Overstreet, and D. Jay Grimes.
- "This interdisciplinary book describes in detail the sources physiology, molecular biology, dispersion, survival - and impact of diverse groups of viruses, bacteria, protozoa, and algae. The effects these microorganisms exert on humans and land animals - as well as fish, crustaceans, and corals - are discussed from basic and applied viewpoints, addressing both global and specific aspects of the topic." --Book Jacket.
- AVAILABLE ONLINE TO AUTHORIZED PSU USERS.
- Bibliography Note:
- Includes bibliographical references and index.
- Reproduction Note:
- Electronic reproduction. Berlin : Springer, 2006. Mode of access: World Wide Web. Available via SpringerLink.
View MARC record | catkey: 4561455