Algal chemical ecology [electronic resource] / Charles D. Amsler, editor
- Berlin ; London : Springer, 
- Copyright Date:
- Physical Description:
- 1 online resource (xviii, 313 pages) : illustrations
- Additional Creators:
- Amsler, Charles D.
- 1. The chemistry of algal secondary metabolism / J. Alan Maschek and Bill J. Baker -- 2. Macroalgal chemical defenses and their roles in structuring tropical marine communities / Renato Crespo Pereira and Bernardo Antonio Perez da Gama -- 3. Macroalgal chemical defenses and their roles in structuring temperate marine communities / Veijo Jormalainen and Tuija Honkanen -- 4. Macroalgal chemical defenses in polar marine communities / Charles D. Amsler, James B. McClintock, and Bill J. Baker -- 5. Macroalgal and cyanobacterial chemical defenses in freshwater communities / Frank A. Camacho -- 6. New perspectives for addressing patterns of secondary metabolites in marine macroalgae / Karen N. Pelletreau and Nancy M. Targett -- 7. Macroalgal models in testing and extending defense theories / Henrik Pavia and Gunilla B. Toth -- 8. Ecological and physiological roles of dimethylsulfoniopropionate (DMSP) and DMSP cleavage in marine macroalgae / Kathryn L. Van Alstyne -- 9. Influence of algal secondary metabolites on plankton community structure / Georg Pohnert --10. Herbivore offense in the sea: the detoxification and transport of secondary metabolites / Erik E. Sotka and Kristen E. Whalen -- 11. Secondary metabolite defenses against pathogens and biofoulers / Amy L. Lane and Julia Kubanek -- 12. Oxidative burst and related responses in biotic interactions of algae / Philippe Potin -- 13. Defense strategies of algae and cyanobacteria against solar ultraviolet radiation / Ulf Karsten --14. Algal sensory chemical ecology / Charles D. Amsler.
- Devoted to the chemical ecology of algae, this title covers both marine and freshwater habitats and various types of algae, from seaweeds to phytoplankton. It elucidates the roles of chemical defenses in various regions and habitats, DMSP, oxidative burst responses, and herbivore offense.
- AVAILABLE ONLINE TO AUTHORIZED PSU USERS.
- Bibliography Note:
- Includes bibliographical references and index.
- Reproduction Note:
- Electronic reproduction. Berlin : Springer, 2008. Mode of access: World Wide Web. Available via SpringerLink.
View MARC record | catkey: 4569232