Paranormal phenomena / Karen Miller, book editor
- Detroit : Greenhaven Press, 
- Copyright Date:
- Physical Description:
- 214 pages : illustrations ; 24 cm.
- Additional Creators:
- Miller, Karen, 1973-
- Opposing viewpoints series
- Why do people believe in paranormal phenomena? Skeptics ignore evidence for paranormal phenomena / Robert Matthews ; Evidence for paranormal phenomena has not been found / Susan Blackmore ; Education influences belief in paranormal phenomena / Michael J. Dougherty ; Brain structure influences belief in paranormal phenomena / Dean Hamer ; People are interconnected by a collective consciousness / Robert Kenny ; People appear to be interconnected because of coincidence / Martin Plimmer and Brian King -- Do paranormal phenomena exist? Observers have witnessed psychokinesis / Doug Yurchey ; Ghosts are incompatible with scientific principles / Lucian Dorneanu ; Ghosts are compatible with scientific principles / Peter Novak ; Psychics are frauds / Janet McDonald ; Psychics have real ability / Doug Moe -- Are the mind and body separate entities? Near-death experiences are symptoms of a dying brain / G. M. Goerlee ; Near-death experiences are symptoms of consciousness disconnecting from the body / Pim van Lommel ; Mediums communicate with the dead / Gary E. Schwartz and William L. Simon ; Mediums do not communicate with the dead / Ray Hyman ; Belief is sufficient to cure illness / Roger Dobson ; The biology of hope / Jerome Groopman -- Should government support the paranormal? Psychic detectives hamper police investigations / Bret Christian ; The study of paranormal phenomena is legitimate science / Scott Flagg ; The study of paranormal phenomena is not legitimate science / Barry Karr.
- 9780737740080 (hardcover), 0737740086 (hardcover), 9780737740097 (pbk.), and 0737740094 (pbk.)
- Bibliography Note:
- Includes bibliographical references (pages 201-204) and index.
View MARC record | catkey: 4586303