Democracy as problem solving : civic capacity in communities across the globe / Xavier de Souza Briggs
- Briggs, Xavier de Souza
- Cambridge, Mass. : MIT Press, 
- Copyright Date:
- Physical Description:
- xiii, 374 pages : illustrations, maps ; 24 cm
- Introduction -- Democracy and public problems -- Managing urban growth : the problem and its civics -- Rethinking the American West : a civic intermediary and the movement for "quality growth" in Utah -- The grassroots-to-grasstops dynamic : slum redevelopment and accountability in Mumbai -- The civics of economic restructuring -- The hyper-organized region : leading the next "new economy" in Pittsburgh -- Progressive regionalism and entrepreneurial government : democratization and competitive restructuring in the greater ABC, Brazil -- Leading change in child and youth well-being -- From the ballot box to better results : cross-sector accountability in the San Francisco children's movement -- Rights, conflict, and civic capacity : meeting the needs of poor children and families in postapartheid Cape Town -- Conclusion.
- 9780262026413 (hardcover : alk. paper)
0262026414 (hardcover : alk. paper)
9780262524858 (pbk. : alk. paper)
0262524856 (pbk. : alk. paper)
- Bibliography Note:
- Includes bibliographical references (pages -357) and index.
View MARC record | catkey: 4669043