The people factor : strengthening America by investing in public service / Linda J. Bilmes, W. Scott Gould
- Bilmes, Linda
- Additional Titles:
- Strengthening America by investing in public service
- Washington, D.C. : Brookings Institution Press, 
- Copyright Date:
- Physical Description:
- xv, 359 pages : illustrations ; 23 cm
- Additional Creators:
- Gould, W. Scott, 1957-
Full Text available online
By special arrangement in response to the COVID-19 pandemic, patrons may access this resource online through the HathiTrust Emergency Temporary Access Service.
- Strengthening public service: A call to arms : why the federal workforce must become a national priority ; The power of strategic human capital : lessons from the private sector ; The people factor in government -- Investing in public service: Leadership in the public sector ; Why organizational structure is important ; Achieving excellence in human resources ; Training ; Managing performance -- Enacting public service reform: A job for the President : engaging stakeholders to reform public service ; Funding the transition program ; Concluding observations on public service reforms -- Appendixes: Survey of college juniors and seniors : attitudes toward working for the public and private sectors ; Summary of laws, reforms, and key demonstration projects and test cases pertaining to the civil service ; List of interviewees ; Sample of federal job announcement ; The history of personnel reform ; U.S. government merit principles.
- "Presents a blueprint for reinvigorating the public sector based on 'The People Factor.' Shows why the U.S. personnel system needs reform, revealing the high price of inaction. Lays out specific steps to achieve the necessary gains, focusing on implementing 'best practices' from successful companies, the military, and high-performing government agencies"--Provided by publisher.
- 9780815701415 (pbk. : acid-free paper)
0815701411 (pbk. : acid-free paper)
9780815708940 (cloth : alk. paper)
0815708947 (cloth : alk. paper)
- Bibliography Note:
- Includes bibliographical references (pages 321-345) and index.
View MARC record | catkey: 4673468