Free within ourselves : the development of African American children's literature / Rudine Sims Bishop
- Bishop, Rudine Sims
- Portsmouth, NH : Heinemann, 
- Copyright Date:
- Physical Description:
- xvi, 295 pages, 8 unnumbered pages of plates : illustrations ; 27 cm
- Before 1900 : sowing the seeds of African American children's literature -- For the children of the sun : African American children's literature begins to bloom -- Breaking new ground : Arna Bontemps and some of his contemporaries -- "Give them back their own souls" : change and the need for change -- African American poetry for children : soft Black songs -- African American picture books take shape : authenticating the worlds of Black children -- African American picture books expand : celebrating the past, reflecting the present -- African American illustrators of children's books : nine pacesetters -- Newer African American illustrators : expanding possibilities, maintaining traditions -- African American children's fiction : illuminating the life of the people -- African American contemporary realistic fiction : focus on teens and preteens -- African American historical fiction : telling a people's story.
- 9780325071350 (alk. paper : pbk.)
0325071357 (alk. paper : pbk.)
- Originally published: Westport, Conn. : Greenwood Press, c2007.
- Bibliography Note:
- Includes bibliographical references (pages -282) and index.
View MARC record | catkey: 4685204