Unimagined community : sex, networks, and AIDS in Uganda and South Africa / Robert J. Thornton
- Thornton, Robert J.
- Berkeley : University of California Press, 
- Copyright Date:
- Physical Description:
- xxi, 282 pages : illustrations ; 23 cm.
- California series in public anthropology ; 20
- Introduction: meaning and structure in the study of AIDS -- Comparing Uganda and South Africa: sexual networks, family structure, and property -- The social determinants of sexual network configuration -- The tightening chain: civil society and Uganda's response to HIV/AIDS -- AIDS in Uganda: years of chaos and recovery -- Siliimu as native category: AIDS as local knowledge in Uganda -- Uganda"s indigenization of AIDS: governance and the political response in Uganda -- South Africa's struggle: the omission and commission of truth about AIDS -- Imagining AIDS: South Africa's viral politics -- Flows of sexual substance: the sexual network in South Africa -- Preventing AIDS: a new paradigm for a new strategy.
- AIDS (Disease)—Uganda—Epidemiology
- AIDS (Disease)—South Africa—Epidemiology
- AIDS (Disease)—Social aspects—Uganda
- AIDS (Disease)—Social aspects—South Africa
- Acquired Immunodeficiency Syndrome—epidemiology
- Acquired Immunodeficiency Syndrome—prevention & control
- Anthropology, Cultural—methods
- Health Policy
- Sexual Behavior
- Socioeconomic Factors
- South Africa
- 9780520255524 (cloth : alk. paper)
0520255526 (cloth : alk. paper)
9780520255531 (pbk. : alk. paper)
0520255534 (pbk. : alk. paper)
- Bibliography Note:
- Includes bibliographical references (pages 257-274) and index.
View MARC record | catkey: 4688607