The mystery of the Kaddish : its profound influence on Judaism / Leon H. Charney and Saul Mayzlish
- Charney, Leon H.
- Fort Lee, N.J. : Barricade Books, 2008.
- Copyright Date:
- Pbk. ed.
- Physical Description:
- xviii, 236 pages ; 21 cm
- Additional Creators:
- Maizlish, Shaʼul
- A first appraisal -- Forever and to all eternity -- Kaddish melodies -- The eternal prayer -- Survival of the Kaddish notwithstanding the Holocaust (Sho'ah) -- A study of Rabbi Levi Yitzchak of Berdishev as a Chassidic force -- Chassidic customs and thoughts in memorializing the deceased -- Ancillary effects of the Kaddish -- Kaddish and women -- Chassidism, Kaddish, and Kotzk -- Prophets, mysticism, and Kaddish -- Yahrzeit and Yizkor: Christian origins? -- Judaism and the idea of death -- The psychological dynamic to death in Judaism -- Did the crusades give birth to the Kaddish for the common man vis-à-vis the elite? -- More on he crusades and Kaddish -- The Jew as a non-citizen and the church synod -- The church synods -- The crusades--suffering creates prayer -- The ghetto -- Blood libel and the massacre of Jews -- Black death & Jewish "Confession" -- The expulsion from Spain -- Kaddish and the concept of death -- The nature of death.
- Traces the history of the Kaddish and how it has evolved. The Kaddish prayer proclaims, without equivocation, acceptance of the power of God and the Divine decree.
- 9781569803479 (pbk.)
- Bibliography Note:
- Includes bibliographical references (pages -225 and index.
- Source of Acquisition:
- Worthington Scranton copy: Purchased with funds from the Paterno Libraries Endowment Fund; 20089.
- Endowment Note:
- Paterno Libraries Endowment (Campus College Libraries)
View MARC record | catkey: 4742197