Pennsylvania State University, Department of Entomology records, 1952-1967
- Corporate Author:
- Pennsylvania State University. Department of Entomology
- Physical Description:
- 12.59 cubic feet
- Restrictions on Access:
- Unrestricted access. These materials are stored offsite. Please allow three days for retrieval before use.
- This collection of records of the Entomology Department contains extensive photographic negatives (both film and glass plate), enrollment records, budget information, evaluation reports, faculty photographs, book plates, lecture notes, course offerings, project descriptions, conference notes, and historical notes.
- In the University Archives, University Libraries, Pennsylvania State University, University Park, Pa. (#RGN 17.18).
- Administrative History:
- Entomology classes have been taught at Penn State since the beginning of the Farmers' High School of Pennsylvania in 1855. In 1895, the Department of Zoology was established in the school of Natural Sciences; courses were offered in entomology, biology, and zoology. The Department of Entomology was established as an extension of the Department of Zoology in 1917 under C.H. Hadley. The department name changed to the Department of Zoology and Entomology in 1924, and it was moved to the College of Agriculture; many new Entomology courses were added at this point. The department's insect collection was begun in 1937 with the arrival of Stuart W. Frost; by 1955, it had accumulated 50,000 specimens. In 1938, when the Old Agricultural Building broke ground, Dr. Frost placed a small moth under the Corner Stone in the name of the Department of Zoology and Entomology. Dr. Frost continued to gather specimens following his retirement in 1957, and by 1970 had accumulated over 400,000 specimens. In 1965, the Department of Entomology split from the Department of Zoology. Since 1996 the department has hosted the Great Insect Fair, which brings insect collectors from all over the country to Penn State.
View MARC record | catkey: 4753372