Pure Land Buddhism in modern Japanese culture / by Eisabetta Porcu
- Porcu, Elisabetta
- Leiden ; Boston : Brill, 2008.
- Physical Description:
- x, 263 pages : illustrations ; 25 cm.
- Creating images of Japanese Buddhism and culture. Japanese Buddhism and culture at the World's Parliament of Religions ; Okakura Kakuzō's English writings and cultural nationalism ; Representations of Japan and Japanese Buddhism during World War II ; Suzuki Daisetsu and his legacy ; Suzuki Daisetsu in the Shin Buddhist context ; Shin Buddhism from the viewpoint of the Kyoto school -- Jōdo Shinshū and literature. Everyday life in a Jōdo Shinshū temple : Niwa Fumio's The Buddha tree ; Jōdo Shinshū in the narrative writing of Natsume Sōseki ; A young poetess and Jōdo Shinshū : Kaneko Misuzu ; Itsuki Hiroyuki : a best-selling writer and Jōdo Shinshū ; Literary reflections on personal experiences within Jōdo Shinshū (Harold H. Stewart's By the old walls of Kyoto ; The theme of death from the perspective of Jōdo Shinshū : Aoki Shinmon's Coffinman : the journal of a Buddhist mortician) -- Pure Land Buddhism and creative arts. Aesthetics and religion in Yanagi Muneyoshi (Yanagi and cultural nationalism) ; The woodblock artist Munakata Shikō and tariki ; Representations of the Pure Land in contemporary visual arts (Recent trends in contemporary Japanese visual arts : Mori Mariko's Pure land) -- Pure Land Buddhism and the tea ceremony. Images of chanoyu ; Pure Land Buddhism in the tradition of chanoyu ; A connection between the Honganji-ha and chanoyu : the Yabunouchi school of tea ; Traditional culture in a Jōdo Shinshū temple : chanoyu at an Ōtani-ha temple.
- 9789004164710 (hardback : alk. paper)
9004164715 (hardback : alk. paper)
- Bibliography Note:
- Includes bibliographical references (pages -258) and index.
View MARC record | catkey: 4755019