Becoming Hebrew : the creation of a Jewish national culture in Ottoman Palestine / Arieh Bruce Saposnik
- Saposnik, Arieh Bruce, 1966-
- New York : Oxford University Press, 2008.
- Physical Description:
- xii, 314 pages : illustrations ; 25 cm
Full Text available online
By special arrangement in response to the COVID-19 pandemic, patrons may access this resource online through the HathiTrust Emergency Temporary Access Service.
- Introduction: to become a nation of "Jewish culture" -- Babels and assemblies: Zionism in the demographic and cultural patchwork of Palestine -- The Uganda affair: soils for national culture -- A mother tongue in the fatherland: transforming a Jewish community into a Hebrew yishuv -- New immigrants, rival vanguards -- Beauty out of Zion?: Zions above and Zions below -- "Halbasien" in Asia: East meets West in Zionist culture -- Bounding the nation: ethnic selves and national others in yishuv culture -- "The Jew has died, the Hebrew has been born": making and locating cultural traditions -- Language wars and other wars -- Conclusion.
- 9780195331219 (cloth) and 0195331214 (cloth)
- Bibliography Note:
- Includes bibliographical references (pages -303) and index.
View MARC record | catkey: 4820443