The great circle : a history of the First Nations / Neil Philip ; foreword by Dennis Hastings
- Philip, Neil
- New York : Clarion Books, 
- Copyright Date:
- Physical Description:
- xiii, 153 pages : illustrations, maps ; 26 cm
- The earth is our mother -- The bundle of twigs -- The Trail of Tears -- This is our land -- They have their eyes on this land -- Nothing lives long -- One with this world.
- Explores the long history of the Native American tribes of North America, discussing their culture, their struggles against white immigrants, and the recent resurgence of their customs. American history with a difference, this is a lively and authoritative history of the Native American nations, from pre-Columbian times to the reclaiming of traditions that is taking place today. Neil Philip explores Native American ideas about land and society, religion, science, and history, and shows how the differences between these and the ideas of the whites resulted in the sad catalog of misunderstandings and betrayals in treaty talks and settlements. It is also a tale of resilience and renewal, including a positive assessment of Native American cultures as they enter the new millennium. Spoken and written accounts by Native Americans are drawn on extensively, and the volume will be illustrated with archival photographs.
- Bibliography Note:
- Includes bibliographical references (pages 143-146) and index.
View MARC record | catkey: 4830963