Keeping down the black vote : race and the demobilization of American voters / Frances Fox Piven, Lorraine C. Minnite, Margaret Groarke
- Foreword / by Adam Cohen -- Preface -- Introduction -- The party logic of voter demobilization -- Race and party competition in post-World War II America -- Black voting power in the cities -- Party resistance to national voter registration reform -- Beyond race? The parties search for a "third way" -- Keeping down the vote: the contemporary revival of vote suppression tactics -- Epilogue -- Notes -- Index.
- African Americans—Suffrage
- African Americans—Politics and government
- Voting—United States
- Elections—United States
- Elections—Corrupt practices—United States
- Race discrimination—Political aspects—United States
- African Americans—Political activity
- Poor—Civil rights—United States
- African Americans—Civil rights
- Racism—Political aspects—United States
- 9781595583543 (hc. : alk. paper) and 1595583548 (hc. : alk. paper)
- Bibliography Note:
- Includes bibliographical references (pages -258) and index.
View MARC record | catkey: 4831589