Miracle as modern conundrum in South Asian religious traditions / edited by Corinne G. Dempsey and Selva J. Raj
- Albany : State University of New York Press, 
- Copyright Date:
- Physical Description:
- xiii, 218 pages : illustrations ; 24 cm
- Additional Creators:
- Dempsey, Corinne G. and Raj, Selva J.
Full Text available online
By special arrangement in response to the COVID-19 pandemic, patrons may access this resource online through the HathiTrust Emergency Temporary Access Service.
- Introduction: Divine proof or tenacious embarrassment? the wonders of the modern miraculous / Corinne G. Dempsey -- Miracles and modern ambivalence -- The neo-vedanta miracle / Robin Rinehart -- Miraculous health and medical itineration among Satnamis and Christians in late colonial Chhattisgarh / Chad M. Bauman -- Kataragama and the Tsunami : the Adbhuta, Ascarya, and the Pratiharya / Sunil Goonasekara -- Making and breaking shrine reputations -- Showing miracles in Rajasthan : proof and grace / Ann Grodzins Gold -- A miracle (or two) in Tiruchipalli / William P. Harman -- The science of the miraculous at an upstate New York Hindu temple / Corinne G. Dempsey -- Managing the establishment : miracles and popular expression -- An ethnographic encounter with the wondrous in a South Indian Catholic shrine / Selva J. Raj -- The 'deep secret' and dangers of karamat : miraculous acts, revelation, and secrecy in a South Indian Sufi tradition / Joyce Burkhalter Flueckiger -- Media of miracles, miracle of media : clairvoyants and commercials on South Asian TV networks in the diaspora / Neelima Shukla-Bhatt.
- 9780791476338 (hardcover : alk. paper) and 0791476332 (hardcover : alk. paper)
- Bibliography Note:
- Includes bibliographical references and index.
View MARC record | catkey: 4893589