Mbira. Njari -- Karanga songs in Christian ceremonies with Simon Mashoko [videorecording].
- University Park, Pa. : Penn State University, Psychological Cinema Register, 
- Copyright Date:
- Physical Description:
- 1 videodisc (24 min.) : sound, color ; 1/2 in.
- Additional Creators:
- Zantzinger, Alfred Gei, Tracey, Andrew T. N., Mashoko, Simon, and Psychological Cinema Register (Pennsylvania State University)
- One of a series of films examining in detail the use of the traditional African mbira in the cultural life of the Mashona people of Rhodesia. Focuses on Magwenyambira Simon Mashoko, a rural Catholic catechist and njari mbira player famous in Shona country. In addition to the traditional spirit repertoire, he has adapted the mbira successfully for use in the Catholic Church. He is seen moving and performing in both the traditional sphere, at a beer party and a dance party, and also at a catechism class and a Sunday church service held at his home.
- Related Titles:
- Njari -- Karanga songs in Christian ceremonies with Simon Mashoko
- Creation/Production Credits Note:
- Produced by ethnomusicologists Gei Zantzinger and Andrew Tracey.
- Technical Details:
View MARC record | catkey: 491602