Publication manual of the American Psychological Association
- Washington, DC : American Psychological Association, 
- Copyright Date:
- Sixth edition.
- Physical Description:
- xviii, 272 pages : illustrations ; 26 cm
- Additional Creators:
- American Psychological Association
- Writing for the behavioral and social sciences. Types of articles ; Ethical and legal standards in publishing ; Ensuring the accuracy of scientific knowledge ; Protecting the rights and welfare of research participants ; Protecting intellectual property rights -- Manuscript structure and content. Journal article reporting standards ; Manuscript elements ; Sample papers -- Writing clearly and concisely. Organization ; Writing style ; Reducing bias in language ; General guidelines for reducing bias ; Reducing bias by topic ; Grammar and usage -- Mechanics of style. Punctuation ; Spelling ; Capitalization ; Italics ; Abbreviations ; Numbers ; Metrication ; Statistical and mathematical copy ; Equations -- Displaying results. General guidance on table and figures ; Tables ; Figures ; Presenting electrophysiological, radiological, and other biological data -- Crediting sources. When to cite ; Quoting and paraphrasing ; Citing references in text ; Reference list ; Reference components -- Reference examples. Types and variations ; Examples by type ; Appendix 7-1: References to legal materials -- Publication process. Editorial process ; Author responsibilities -- Appendix: Journal article reporting standards (JARS), Meta-analysis reporting standards (MARS), and flow of participants through each stage of an experiment or quasi-experiment.
- With millions of copies sold, the Publication Manual of the American Psychological Association is the style manual of choice for writers, editors, students, educators, and professionals in psychology, sociology, business, economics, nursing, social work, and justice administration, and other disciplines in which effective communication with words and data is fundamental. In addition to providing clear guidance on grammar, the mechanics of writing, and APA style, the Publication Manual offers an authoritative and easy-to-use reference and citation system and comprehensive coverage of the treatment of numbers, metrication, statistical and mathematical data, tables, and figures for use in writing, reports, or presentations. The new edition has been revised and updated to include: The latest guidelines and examples for referencing electronic and online sources; New and revised guidelines for submitting papers electronically; Improved guidelines for avoiding plagiarism; Simplified formatting guidelines for writers using up-to-date word-processing software; All new guidelines for presenting case studies; Improved guidelines for the construction of tables; Updates on copyright and permissions issues for writers. New reference examples for audiovisual media and patents; An expanded and improved index for quick and easy access; Writers, scholars, and professionals will also find: New guidelines on how to choose text, tables, or figures to present data; Guidelines for writing cover letters for submitting articles for publication, plus a sample letter; Expanded guidelines on the retention of raw data; New advice on establishing written agreements for the use of shared data; New information on the responsibilities of co-authors.--From the publisher.
9781433805622 (spiral bound)
1433805626 (spiral bound)
- Bibliography Note:
- Includes bibliographical references (pages 255-257) and index.
- Source of Acquisition:
- UP-PAT copy, 2010, c.1: Purchased with funds from the Class of 1960 Endowed Library Fund; 2009.
UP-PAT c.2, UP-EDUBEHV copy, all Abington copies, all Altoona copies, Brandywine copy, all Greater Allegheny copies, and all Hazleton copies, 6th.ed. 2010: Purchased with funds from the Paterno Libraries Endowment; 2009.
Fayette copy, 6th.ed. 2010: Purchased with funds from the Paterno Libraries Endowment; 2009.
New Kensington, 6th.ed. 2010: Purchased with funds from the Paterno Libraries Endowment; 2009.
Wilkes-Barre Pennsylvania Collection copy, 6th.ed. 2010: Purchased with funds from the Paterno Libraries Endowment; 2009.
Wilkes-Barre Reference copy, 6th.ed. 2010: Purchased with funds from the Paterno Libraries Endowment; 2009.
Abington Refdesk copies, 6th.ed: Purchased with funds from the Paterno Libraries Endowment; 2009.
Purchased with funds from the Paterno Libraries Endowment (Campus College Libraries); 2015
- Endowment Note:
- Paterno Libraries Endowment
Paterno Libraries Endowment (Campus College Libraries)
Paterno Libraries Endowment (Harrisburg)
Class of 1960 Libraries Endowment
View MARC record | catkey: 497977