The war of the worlds [videorecording] / [presented by] Paramount Pictures ; produced by George Pal ; screenplay by Barré Lyndon ; directed by Byron Haskin. When worlds collide / Paramount Pictures presents a Paramount picture ; produced by George Pal ; screenplay by Sydney Boehm ; directed by Rudolph Maté
- Uniform Title:
- War of the worlds (Motion picture : 1953)
- Hollywood, Calif. : Paramount Home Entertainment, 
- Physical Description:
- 1 videodisc (167 min.) : sound, color ; 4 3/4 in.
- Additional Creators:
- Pal, George
Lyndon, Barré, 1896-1972
Haskin, Byron, 1899-1984
Maté, Rudolph, 1899-1964
Robinson, Ann, 1935-
Derr, Richard, 1917-1992
Rush, Barbara, 1927-
Hansen, Peter, 1921-2017
Hoyt, John, 1905-1991
Keating, Larry, 1897-1963
Chase, Alden, 1902-1982
Cady, Frank, 1915-2012
Rorke, Hayden, 1910-1987
Giglio, Sandro, 1900-1979
Jennings, Gordon, -1953
Wells, H. G. (Herbert George), 1866-1946
Balmer, Edwin, 1883-1959
Paramount Pictures Corporation
Paramount Home Entertainment (Firm)
- Language Note:
- War of the worlds: English (Dolby 2.0, Dolby mono.) and dubbed French (Dolby mono.) dialogue, English subtitles; closed-captioned.
When worlds collide: English (Dolby mono.) and dubbed French (Dolby mono.) dialogue, English subtitles; closed-captioned.
- War of the worlds (85 min.) -- When worlds collide (82 min.).
- War of the worlds: The residents of a small town are excited when a flaming meteor lands in the hills. That is until they realize that the Martians have landed a direct assault to our planet, with hundreds of invulnerable ships. The invasion takes place all over the world, and all the major cities are destroyed one after one, even the atomic bomb can't stop them. But, if the human intervention can't beat them, who can?
When worlds collide: When scientists discover a distant planet is on a catastrophic collision course with Earth, the government refuses to believe the evidence. It's now up to private citizens to finance and build a spaceship to carry a limited number of people and animals to another planet to begin a new civilization. Massive tidal waves, earthquakes, the impending destruction of our world and deciding who gets to live or die brings out the best and worst in people.
- Related Titles:
- When worlds collide (Motion picture : 1951)
When worlds collide
- Audience Notes:
- MPAA rating: G (War of the worlds) ; MPAA rating: G (When worlds collide).
- Title from container.
War of the worlds based on the novel by H.G. Wells.
When worlds collide based on the novel by Edwin Balmer and Philip Wylie.
War of the worlds originally released as a motion picture in 1953 ; When worlds collide originally released as a motion picture in 1951.
- Creation/Production Credits Note:
- War of the worlds: Music, Leith Stephens ; special effects, Gordon Jennings.
- Participant/Performer Note:
- War of the worlds cast: Gene Barry, Ann Robinson, Les Tremayne.
When worlds collide cast: Richard Derr, Barbara Rush, Peter Hanson, John Hoyt, Larry Keating, Judith Ames, Stephen Chase, Frank Cady, Hayden Rorke, Sandro Giglio.
- Technical Details:
- DVD, region 1, region 1, full screen (1.33:1) presentation; Dolby Digital 2.0 stereo. surround, Dolby Digital mono.
- War of the worlds - Academy Awards, USA, 1954: Oscar - Best Effects, Special Effects (Gordon Jennings).
When worlds collide - Academy Awards, USA, 1952: Oscar - Best Effects, Special Effects (Gordon Jennings).
View MARC record | catkey: 5009296