Dark dreams 2.0 : a psychological history of the modern horror film from the 1950s to the 21st century / Charles Derry ; foreword by John Russell Taylor
- Derry, Charles, 1951-
- Additional Titles:
- Dark dreams two point oh
- Jefferson, N.C. : McFarland & Co., 
- Copyright Date:
- Physical Description:
- ix, 437 pages : illustrations ; 27 cm
- Dark dreams (1977). Foreword to the original edition / by John Russell Taylor -- Introduction -- The horror of personality -- The horror of Armageddon -- The horror of the demonic -- Millennial nightmares (2009). A context; and why what's not happening in American horror isn't -- The horror of personality, revisited -- Sequels and insincerity -- The horror of the demonic, revisited -- The horror of Armageddon, revisited -- Asian millennial horror -- Postmodern remakes, the averted gaze, and some glimmerings of the new -- Guillermo Del Toro -- David Cronenberg -- 9/11 and beyond.
- "This revised edition of Dark Dreams explores the evolution of the modern horror film. It divides horror into three varieties (psychological, demonic and apocalyptic) and demonstrates how horror cinema represents popular expression of everyday fears while revealing the forces that influence American values. Directors given a close reading include Hitchcock, De Palma, Cronenberg, Del Toro, Haneke, and Polanski"--Provided by publisher.
- 9780786433971 (illustrated case binding : alk. paper)
0786433973 (illustrated case binding : alk. paper)
- Bibliography Note:
- Includes bibliographical references, filmographies, and index.
View MARC record | catkey: 5102438