Glaucoma : an open window to neurodegeneration and neuroprotection / edited by Carlo Nucci [and others].
- Amsterdam ; Boston : Elsevier, 2008.
- Physical Description:
- xvi, 622 pages, 16 unnumbered pages of plates : illustrations (some color) ; 26 cm.
- Additional Creators:
- Nucci, Carlo
- Progress in brain research, v. 173
- 1. Epidemiology of primary glaucoma: prevalence, incidence, and blinding effects -- 2. Predictive models to estimate the risk of glaucoma development and progression -- 3. Intraocular pressure and central corneal thickness -- 4. Angle-closure: risk factors, diagnosis and treatment -- 5. Early diagnosis of glaucoma -- 6. Monitoring glaucoma progression -- 7. Standard automated perimetry and algorithms for monitoring glaucoma progression -- 8. Short-wavelength automated perimetry and frequency-doubling technology perimetry in glaucoma -- 9. Scanning laser polarimetry and confocal scanning laser ophthalmoscopy: technical notes on their use in glaucoma -- 10. The role of OCT in glaucoma management -- 11. Functional laser Doppler flowmetry of the optic nerve: physiological aspects and clinical applications -- 12. Advances in neuroimaging of the visual pathways and their use in glaucoma -- 13. Primary open angle glaucoma: an overview of medical therapy -- 14. The treatment of normal-tension glaucoma -- 15. The management of exfoliative glaucoma -- 16. Laser therapies for glaucoma: new frontiers -- 17. Modulation of wound healing during and after glaucoma surgery -- 18. Surgical alternative to trabeculectomy -- 19 Modern aqueous shunt implantation: future challenges -- 20. Model systems for experimental studies: retinal ganglion cells in culture -- 21. Rat models for glaucoma research -- 22. Mouse genetic models: an ideal system for understanding glaucomatous neurodegeneration and neuroprotection -- 23. Clinical trials in neuroprotection.
24. Pathogenesis of ganglion "cell death" in glaucoma and neuroprotection: focus on ganglion cell axonal mitochondria -- 25. Astrocytes in glaucomatous optic neuropathy -- 26. Glaucoma as a neuropathy amenable to neuroprotection and immune manipulation -- 27. Oxidative stress and glaucoma: injury in the anterior segment of the eye -- 28 TNF-alpha signaling in glaucomatous neurodegeneration -- 29. Involvement of the Bc12 gene family in the signaling and control of retinal ganglion cell death -- 30. Assessment of neuroprotection in the retina with DARC -- 31. Potential roles of (endo)cannabinoids in the treatment of glaucoma: from intraocular pressure control to neuroprotection -- 32. Glaucoma of the brain: a disease model for the study of transsynaptic neural degeneration -- 33. Changes of central visual receptive fields on experimental glaucoma -- 34. Targeting excitotoxic/free radical signaling pathways for therapeutic intervention in glaucoma -- Stem cells for neuroprotection in glaucoma -- 36. The relationship between neurotrophic factors and CaMKII in the death and survival of retinal ganglion cells -- 37. Evidence of the neuroprotective role of citicoline in glaucoma patients -- 38. Neuroprotection: VEGF, IL-6, and clusterin: the dark side of the moon -- 39. Rational basis for the development of coenzyme Q10 as a neurotherapeutic agent for retinal protection -- 40. 17Beta-estradiol prevents retinal ganglion cell loss induced by the acute rise of intraocular pressure in rat.
- 9780444532565 (cased)
- Bibliography Note:
- Includes bibliographical references and index.
View MARC record | catkey: 5199798