Ella Fitzgerald sings the Duke Ellington song book [sound recording].
- Ellington, Duke, 1899-1974
- Uniform Title:
- Songs. Selections
- Additional Titles:
- Duke Ellington song book
- [Place of publication not identified] : Verve, 
- Copyright Date:
- Physical Description:
- 3 audio discs : digital ; 4 3/4 in.
- Additional Creators:
- Fitzgerald, Ella, Ellington, Duke, 1899-1974, Webster, Ben, Smith, Stuff, Smith, Paul, 1922-2013, Peterson, Oscar, 1925-2007, Kessel, Barney, Ellis, Herb, 1921-2010, Mondragon, Joe, Brown, Ray, 1926-2002, Stoller, Alvin, Strayhorn, Billy, and Duke Ellington Orchestra
- The complete Ella Fitzgerald song books
- Disc 1. Rockin' in rhythm -- Drop me off in Harlem -- Day dream -- Caravan -- Take the "A" train -- I ain't got nothing but the blues -- Clementine -- I didn't know about you -- I'm beginning to see the light -- Lost in meditation -- Perdido -- Cotton tail -- Do nothin' till you hear from me -- Just a-sittin and a-rockin -- Solitude -- Rock in my bed -- Satin doll -- Sophisticated lady., Disc 2. Just squeeze me (but don't tease me) -- It don't mean a thing -- Azure -- I let a song go out of my heart -- In a sentimental mood -- Don't get around much anymore -- Prelude to a kiss -- Mood indigo --In a mellow tone -- Love you madly -- Lush life -- Squatty roo -- I'm just a lucky so-and-so -- All too soon -- Everything but you -- I got it bad (and that ain't good) -- Bli-blip., and Disc 3. Chelsea Bridge -- Portrait of Ella Fitzgerald -- The E and D blues (E for Ella, D for Duke) -- Chelsea Bridge : rehearsal (tracks 4-11) -- All heart : rehearsal and alternative takes (tracks 12-15).
- Verve: 314 559 248-2 (314 557 540-2--314 557 542-2).
Jazz vocals ; music principally by Duke Ellington and Billy Strayhorn.
Originally released on analog discs (MGV 4010-4), reissued on compact discs in 1988, and in the Complete Ella Fitzgerald song books in 1993 (except tracks 5-10 & 12-15 on disc three which are previously unissued).
Original biographical and program notes by Norman Granz and Leonard Feather and new preface by Patricia Willard (65 p. : ports.) inserted in outer container.
- Participant/Performer Note:
- Ella Fitzgerald, vocals (except disc 3, tracks 2, 7-8, and 12-15) ; in part with Duke Ellington and His Orchestra ; in part with jazz ensemble including (in various combinations): Ben Webster, tenor saxophone ; Stuff Smith, violin ; Paul Smith, Oscar Peterson, piano ; Barney Kessel, Herb Ellis, guitar ; Joe Mondragon, Ray Brown, bass ; Alvin Stoller, drums.
- Data/Place of Event:
- Recorded at Fine Recording, New York City, June 24-27 & Oct. 3, 1957; at Radio Recorders, Hollywood, Sept. 4, 1956; at Capitol Studios, Hollywood, Oct. 17, 1957; and at Universal Recording Studios, Chicago, Sept. 2, 1957.
View MARC record | catkey: 5316536