Thinking about space : the potential of surface survey and contextual analysis in the definition of space in Roman times / editors, Hannelore Vanhaverbeke [and others].
- Turnhout : Brepols, 
- Copyright Date:
- Physical Description:
- ix, 255 pages : illustrations, maps ; 30 cm.
- Additional Creators:
- Vanhaverbeke, H. (Hannelore)
Full Text available online
By special arrangement in response to the COVID-19 pandemic, patrons may access this resource online through the HathiTrust Emergency Temporary Access Service.
- Studies in eastern Mediterranean archaeology ; 8
- Introduction / H. Vanhaverbeke -- The Use of Space at the Regional Level -- Site-specific survey in a Cypriot setting. Settlement definition and verification in the Vasilikos valley / M. Rautman -- The role of pottery in the interpretation and classification of rural sites in Cyprus / K. Winther Jacobsen -- Surface material, sites and landscapes in Soth Picenum (Marche, Italy) / S. Menchelli -- Fish-salting plants and amphora production in the Bay of Cadiz (Baetica, Hispania). Patterns of settlement from the Punic era to Late Antiquity / D. Bernal Casasola and A. M. Saez Romero -- Pisae and its suburbium: looking for the ancient landscape in the urban periphery / M. Pasquinucci and S. Menchelli -- Town and suburbium at Sagalassos. An interaction investigated through survey / F. Martens, H. Vanhaverbeke and M. Waelkins -- The Use of Space at the Local Level -- Artefact Assemblages and Activity Area Analysis. A Comparison from Greek Domestic Contexts / L. Nevett -- Shops and retail in Late Antiquity. A contextual approach to the material evidence from Sagalassos / T. Putzeys, M. Waelkins, J. Poblome, W. Van Neer, B. De Cupere, T. Van Thuyne, N. Kellens and P. Bes -- Does form (or category of finds) follow function (of a room or building)? A comparison between Virunum and Bruckneudorf / S. Zabehlicky-Scheffenegger -- Ein Kochtopf macht noch keine Kuche / E. Schindler-Kaudelka -- Functional zoning and changes in the use of space in the Roman town of Potentia: an integrated survey approach / F. Vermeulen -- Plates.
- "The eleven papers presented in this volume result from workshops organized by the international, interdisciplinary ROCT-network (Roman Crafts and Trade). From a heterogeneous chronological and geographical background, the peer-reviewed collection of papers focuses on one central issue: the use of space in the Roman world. The edited volume contrasts two-dimensions of space: the macro-scale at regional level and the micro-scale at local level. Moreover, the selected papers are written against a variety of methodological backgrounds and practices, including excavation and surveying strategies, contextual analysis and material culture studies. The variety of content, approaches, and interpretation results from the conscious deliberation that this is the only possible way to think about space in the Roman world. The contributions cover the Roman world with its provinces, throughout the long period in history which can be considered Roman in each of the study areas."--BOOK JACKET.
View MARC record | catkey: 5430547