An theater of mortality : or, A further collection of funeral-inscriptions over Scotland; gathered from Edinburgh, Dundee, Aberdeen, Stirling ... and several other places elsewhere / all Englished by the publisher: whereto are subjoined inscriptions upon the passion and death of our blessed Saviour, and upon the death of Marie, Queen of Scots, King James VI. and K. Charles I. With foreign epitaphs, ancient and modern ... by Robert Monteith
- Monteith, Robert, active 1660-1713
- Additional Titles:
- Further collection of funeral-inscriptions over Scotland
- Edinburgh : Printed by the heirs and successors of Andrew Anderson, printers to the Queen's most Excellent Majesty, Anno Dom. MDCCXIII 
- Physical Description:
- 8 unnumbered pages, 280 (i.e., 284) pages ; 17 cm (4to)
- Language Note:
- The inscriptions chiefly in Latin, with English translations.
- Rare Books copy: Formerly part of an 18th-century library in Williamscote House near Banbury, England, assembled by John Loveday (1711-1789), philologist and antiquary, who lived at Caversham in Oxfordshire. The library was moved to Williamscote House in 1799 by John Loveday the second (1742-1809), Doctor of Laws.
- Signatures: pi⁴; A-Hh⁴, [par.]², Ii-Mm⁴.
Four unnumbered pages inserted between p. 248-249.
- Source of Acquisition:
- Rare Books copy: Purchased with funds from the William R. Slater Fund; 2009.
- Binding notes:
- Bound with the author's earlier work, An theater of mortality, or, The illustrious inscriptions extant upon the several monuments.... Edinburgh, 1704.
PN6290.M76 1704 c.1 (Book) bound in An theater of mortality : or, The illustrious inscriptions extant upon the several monuments, erected over the dead bodies, (of the sometime honourable persons) buried within the Gray-friars Church-Yard ; and other churches and burial-places within the city of Edinburgh and suburbs / collected and Englished by R. Monteith
- Reviewed/Cited In:
- English short title catalogue, T147989
View MARC record | catkey: 5542069