Rediscovering the Buddha : legends of the Buddha and their interpretation / Hans H. Penner
- Penner, Hans H., 1934-2012
- Oxford ; New York : Oxford University Press, 2009.
- Physical Description:
- xii, 260 pages : illustrations, map ; 25 cm
- Cosmology and the great declaration -- The perfection of giving -- The birth and early life of Gotama -- Flight from the palace -- Enlightenment and liberation -- The Buddha begins to teach -- The Buddha becomes a wonder-worker -- The Buddha meets a king and two brilliant ascetics -- Rules, rules, and more rules -- The Buddha goes home -- The Buddha receives a gift and befriends a king -- Meeting a murderer, a visit home, and a quick trip to heaven -- Devadatta attempts to kill the Buddha -- The buddha's last days -- Once the buddha was a universal monarch -- The last watch and the funeral -- The quest for the historical Buddha -- The cosmological structure -- The legends as rites of passage -- The great agent : universal monarchs and Buddhas -- The gift, the renouncer, and the householder.
- 9780195385823 (alk. paper)
0195385829 (alk. paper)
- Bibliography Note:
- Includes bibliographical references and index.
View MARC record | catkey: 5631096