Obesity / Tom and Gena Metcalf, editors
- Detroit : Thomson / Gale, 
- Copyright Date:
- 1st ed.
- Physical Description:
- 136 pages : color illustrations ; 24 cm.
- Additional Creators:
- Metcalf, Tom
Full Text available online
By special arrangement in response to the COVID-19 pandemic, patrons may access this resource online through the HathiTrust Emergency Temporary Access Service.
- Perspectives on diseases & disorders
- Introduction -- ch. 1. Understanding obesity -- 1. Obesity : an overview / Rosalyn Carson-DeWitt and Rebecca J. Frey -- 2. Obesity causes and treatments / Lester Crawford -- 3. The modern lifestyle contributes to obesity / Sarah Aase -- 4. Body chemistry contributes to obesity / Weill Medical College Newsletter -- 5. Thrifty genes may cause obesity / Francine R. Kaufman -- ch. 2. The controversial side of obesity -- 1. Obesity is a disease / Mona Chiang -- 2. Obesity is not a disease / Paul Ernsberger -- 3. Gastric bypass surgery offers hope to the obese / Tracy Connor -- 4. Gastric bypass surgery poses medical risks / Ben Harder -- 5. Schools must help fight obesity / Glenn Cook -- 6. Schools' attempt to reduce obesity are controversial / Anne Marie Chaker -- 7. High fructose corn syrup causes obesity / Kim Severson -- 8. High fructose corn syrup does not cause obesity / John S. White and John P. Foreyt -- ch. 3. Personal perspectives on obesity -- 1. One patient describes gastric bypass surgery / Melisa McNulty -- 2. Metabolic change can cause obesity / The Endocrine Society -- 3. A daughter's painful realization / Elizabeth Daley -- Glossary -- Chronology -- Organizations to contact -- For further reading -- Index.
- 9780737738735 (hardcover)
- Bibliography Note:
- Includes bibliographical references (pages 129-131) and index.
View MARC record | catkey: 5711027