Curious curves / Richard B. Darst, Judith A. Palagallo, Thomas E. Price
- Darst, Richard B., 1934-
- Singapore ; Hackensack, NJ : World Scientific, 
- Copyright Date:
- Physical Description:
- xxi, 210 pages : illustrations (some color) ; 24 cm
- Additional Creators:
- Palagallo, Judith A. and Price, Thomas E.
Full Text available online
By special arrangement in response to the COVID-19 pandemic, patrons may access this resource online through the HathiTrust Emergency Temporary Access Service.
- 1. Examples of curious curves -- 2. The Koch curve and tangent lines -- 3. Curves and Cantor sets -- 4. Generalizations of the Koch curve -- 5. Metric spaces and the Hausdorff metric -- 6. Contraction maps and iterated function systems -- 7. Dimension, curves and Cantor sets -- 8. Julia sets and the Mandelbrot set -- Appendix A. Points on a line -- Appendix B. Length and area -- Appendix C. Maps and sets in the plane -- Appendix D. Infinite sets.
- "Curves can often provide a better representation of natural phenomena than do the figures of classical geometry. Thus the content of this book - presented with an emphasis on the geometric intuition characteristic of the study of curves - is highly relevant not only for people working in mathematics, but also those in other sciences. The explanations are detailed and illustrative to capture the interest of the reader, as well as complete to provide the necessary background information needed to go further into the subject."--BOOK JACKET.
- 9789814291286 and 9814291285
- AUTH: COLORADO STATE UNIVERSITY. TEXTBOOK--ADV. UNDERGRAD.
- Bibliography Note:
- Includes bibliographical references and index.
View MARC record | catkey: 5807464