- Gale virtual reference library
- Vol. 2: The bear - William Faulkner -- A Christmas memory - Truman Capote -- Everyday use - Alice Walker -- The fall of the house of Usher - Edgar Allan Poe -- The gift of the Magi - O. Henry -- Gimpel the fool - Isaac Bashevis Singer -- A good man is hard to find - Flannery O'Connor -- In the cemetery where Al Jolson is buried - Amy Hempel -- Miss Brill - Katherine Mansfield -- The monkey's paw - W. W. Jacobs -- An occurrence at Owl Creek Bridge - Ambrose Bierce -- The ones who walk away from Omelas - Ursula K. Le Guin -- Paul's case - Willa Cather -- The red-headed league - Arthur Conan Doyle -- The rocking-horse winner - D.H. Lawrence -- Sonny's blues - James Baldwin -- The story of an hour - Kate Chopin -- The swimmer - John Cheever -- The train from Rhodesia - Nadine Gordimer -- A worn path - Eudora Welty.
- Presents vital information on the most-studied short stories at the high school and early-college levels. Each entry contains author biography, plot summary, characters, themes, style, historical context, critical overview, and criticism.
- Faulkner, William, 1897-1962. Bear
- Capote, Truman, 1924-1984. Christmas memory
- Walker, Alice, 1944- Everyday use
- Poe, Edgar Allan, 1809-1849. Fall of the house of Usher
- Henry, O., 1862-1910. Gift of the Magi
- Singer, Isaac Bashevis, 1904-1991. Short stories. Selections. English
- O'Connor, Flannery. Good man is hard to find
- Hempel, Amy. In the cemetery where Al Jolson is buried
- Mansfield, Katherine, 1888-1923. Miss Brill
- Jacobs, W. W. (William Wymark), 1863-1943. Monkey's paw
- Bierce, Ambrose, 1842-1914? Occurrence at Owl Creek Bridge
- Le Guin, Ursula K., 1929-2018. Ones who walk away from Omelas
- Cather, Willa, 1873-1947. Paul's case
- Doyle, Arthur Conan, 1859-1930. Red-headed league
- Lawrence, D. H. (David Herbert), 1885-1930. Rocking-horse winner
- Baldwin, James, 1924-1987. Sonny's blues
- Chopin, Kate, 1850-1904. Story of an hour
- Cheever, John. Swimmer
- Gordimer, Nadine. Train from Rhodesia
- Welty, Eudora, 1909-2001. Worn path
- Short story—Study and teaching (Higher)—United States
- Short story—Study and teaching (Secondary)—United States
- Short story
- 9781414428130 (electronic book)
1414428138 (electronic book)
- Each entry contains author biography, plot summary, characters, themes, style, historical context, critical overview, and criticism.
AVAILABLE ONLINE TO AUTHORIZED PSU USERS.
- Bibliography Note:
- Includes bibliographical references and index.
- Reproduction Note:
- Electronic reproduction. Farmington Hills, Mi : Gale. Available via World Wide Web.
- Original Version:
- Original: 349 p. : ill. ; 29 cm.
- Technical Details:
- Mode of access: Internet.
View MARC record | catkey: 5812713