The Great Depression and the New Deal / Kevin Hillstrom
- Hillstrom, Kevin, 1963-
- Detroit : Omnigraphics, Inc., [date of publication not identified]
- Copyright Date:
- Physical Description:
- xii, 226 pages : illustrations, map ; 24 cm.
- Narrative overview: The Roaring Twenties and the Great Crash -- The Hoover years -- Roosevelt and the first New Deal -- The dust bowl -- The second New Deal -- Wartime prosperity -- Legacy of the Great Depression and the New Deal -- Biographies: Herbert Hoover (1874-1964) : U.S. President during the early years of the Great Depression -- Harry Lloyd Hopkins (1890-1946) : New Deal administrator and presidential Advisor -- Hugh S. Johnson (1882-1942) : director of the New Deal's National Recovery Administration -- Frances Perkins (1880-1965) : progressive activist and Secretary of Labor during the Great Depression -- Eleanor Roosevelt (1864-1962) : First Lady of the United States of America during the Great Depression -- Franklin D. Roosevelt (1882-1945) : U.S. President during the later years of the Great Depression and World War II -- Henry A. Wallace (1888-1965) : Secretary of Agriculture during the Great Depression and Vice President during World War II -- Primary sources: Remembering a depression childhood -- Herbert Hoover predicts a quick recovery -- Franklin D. Roosevelt's first inaugural address -- Praise for the Civilian Conservation Corps -- An excerpt from John Steinbeck's "The Grapes of Wrath" -- Woody Guthrie describes the dust bowl -- Remembering "Black Sunday" -- Battling the dust bowl and rural poverty -- Roosevelt unveils the second New Deal -- The Saturday Evening Post condemns Roosevelt and the New Deal -- A rabbi's letter of thanks to Roosevelt.
- "Explains the history of the Stock Market Crash of 1929 and the Great Depression, as well as President Franklin D. Roosevelt's ambitious program of New Deal reforms. Features include a narrative overview, biographical profiles, primary source documents, chronology, glossary, bibliography, and index"--Provided by publisher.
- 9780780810495 (hardcover : alk. paper)
078081049X (hardcover : alk. paper)
- Bibliography Note:
- Includes bibliographical references (pages 217-218) and index.
View MARC record | catkey: 5815651