Rediscovering traces of memory : the Jewish heritage of Polish Galicia / Jonathan Webber ; photographs by Chris Schwarz
- Webber, Jonathan (Jonathan Meir)
- Oxford : The Littman Library of Jewish Civilization ; Bloomington : Indiana University Press, 2009.
- Physical Description:
- vi, 186 pages : color illustrations, maps ; 21 x 23 cm.
- Additional Creators:
- Schwarz, Chris, 1948-2007 and Muzeum Galicja (Kraków, Poland)
- The Littman library of Jewish civilization
- 1. Jewish life in ruins -- 2. Jewish culture as it once was -- 3. The Holocaust : sites of massacre and destruction -- 4. How the past is being remembered -- 5. People making memory today.
- "Since the Holocaust, traces of memory are virtually all that remain in Poland today after more than eight hundred years of Jewish life there. This remarkable album, published on behalf of the Galicia Jewish Museum in Krakow, offers a sensitive way of looking at that past. Based entirely on arresting, present-day colour photographs of Polish Galicia, it shows how much of that past can still be seen today if one knows how to look and how to interpret what one sees." "The seventy-four photographs are all fully captioned, with additional detailed background notes to explain and contextualize them. The idea is to help people understand the Jewish civilization of Polish Galicia in its local context on the basis of what can still be seen there."--BOOK JACKET.
- "From the permanent exhibition of The Galicia Jewish Museum, Kraków"--Cover.
- Bibliography Note:
- Includes bibliographical references and index.
View MARC record | catkey: 5887613