The loudest duck : moving beyond diversity while embracing differences to achieve success at work / Laura Liswood
- Liswood, Laura A., 1950-
- Hoboken, N.J. : Wiley, 
- Copyright Date:
- Physical Description:
- xxviii, 164 pages ; 23 cm
- Machine generated contents note: Ch. 1 Beware of Noah's Ark -- Ch. 2 The Elephant and the Mouse -- Ch. 3 Tell Your Grandma to Go Home -- Ch. 4 What's Easy for You Is Hard for Me and How to Navigate the Differences -- Ch. 5 Unwritten Rules -- Ch. 6 We Hire for Difference and Fire Because They Are Not the Same -- Ch. 7 The Tools in Your Toolbox.
- "A business fable that explains why organizations need to move beyond the old-style diversity efforts to actually benefit from difference In today's modern workplaces with their many different types of people, cultural and personal differences can be challenges-whether you're a team-member or a business leader. Different cultures teach different values and we carry those values throughout adulthood and into the office environment. Understanding the cultural and gender viewpoints of our colleagues is a major key to healthy, conflict-free work environments. This fable takes its name from a Chinese children's parable about how "the loudest duck gets shot." It's a parable that contrasts with the American idiom "the squeaky wheel gets the grease." Comparing the two, it's clear that different cultures teach different views, and those views often translate into distinct ways of doing business. In today's global business world, understanding each other-where we come from and what we're taught-is more important than ever. A business fable that points out how the old way of approaching diversity will never work, showing us how to understand and navigate the cultural and gender differences that cause conflict in the office Perfect for managers and executives faced with leadership challenges in a heterogeneous workforce and who want to make sure their organization is a true meritocracy and a level playing field for everyone Ideal for anyone, at any level, who wants more tools in their toolbox to get ahead in business in a global business culture Doing business today takes understanding and cultural intelligence. The Loudest Duck uses an entertaining story to share important lessons about why diversity efforts are bound to fail unless we really understand how we unconsciously respond to difference and how to move to beyond it"--Provided by publisher.
- 9780470485842 (hc) and 0470485841
- Bibliography Note:
- Includes bibliographical references and index.
View MARC record | catkey: 5887646