Thoreau's democratic withdrawal : alienation, participation, and modernity / Shannon L. Mariotti
- Mariotti, Shannon L. (Shannon Lee)
- Madison, Wis. : University of Wisconsin Press, 
- Copyright Date:
- Physical Description:
- xviii, 222 pages ; 23 cm.
- Preface: Reclaiming Spaces of Withdrawal for Democratic Politics -- Introduction. Reading Thoreau with Adorno -- Pt. 1. Two Interlocutors for Thoreau: Adorno and Emerson -- 1. Damaged Life, the Microscopic Gaze, and Adorno's Practice of Negative Dialectics -- 2. Alienated Existence, Focal Distancing, and Emerson's Transcendental Idealism -- Pt. 2. Thoreau's Democratic Withdrawal -- 3. Man as Machine: Thoreau and Modern Alienation -- 4. Huckleberrying toward Democracy: Thoreau's Practices of Withdrawal 117 -- 5. Traveling Away from Home: Thoreau's Spaces of Withdrawal -- Conclusion: Alienation and the Anti-Foundationalist Foundation of the Self.
- 9780299233945 (pbk. : alk. paper)
0299233944 (pbk. : alk. paper)
- Bibliography Note:
- Includes bibliographical references and index.
View MARC record | catkey: 5892346