Egypt : three essays on the history, religion and art of ancient Egypt
- Brimmer, Martin, 1829-1896
- [Boston, Massachusetts] : Houghton, Mifflin and Company, MD CCC XCII  and [Cambridge, Massachusetts] : Riverside Press : Electrotyped and printed by H.O. Houghton & Company
- Physical Description:
- , 86 pages,  leaves of plates : illustrations, color map ; 27 cm
- Additional Creators:
- Chapman, Minna Timmins, Whitman, Sarah, Houghton, Mifflin and Company, and Riverside Press (Cambridge, Mass.)
- (plates) Map of Egypt [hand-colored] -- View of the first cataract -- Shadoof -- Village market -- Nile boat loaded with straw -- The king crowned with the crowns of Upper and Lower Egypt -- Prisoners of war held by the King's Arm -- Bas-relief of Seti I -- Distant view of the pyramids of Ghizeh -- Funeral stela -- Entrance to the hypostyl hall of a temple of Edfou -- Queen Taia -- Outer corridor of the Temple of Edfou -- Weighing the soul in judgment before Osiris -- Temple of the Sphinx at Ghizeh -- The Sphinx -- Panel from the tomb of Hosi -- Sheikh-el-Beled -- Statues of Ra-Hotep and Nefer-t: Memphite period -- Statue of Khephren -- Bas-relief of cranes: Memphite period -- Man with antelope: Memphite period -- Bas-reliefs of a bull and a lion's head: Memphite period -- Lotus bud and Bell-shaped capitals -- Polygonal columns at Beni Hassan -- The Colossi of the plain of Thebes -- Columns of an hypostyl hall, with base and architrave: Theban period -- Head of Meneptah: Teban period -- Naval combat on the Nile: Theban period -- Capitals of the Ptolemaic period at Kom Ombos -- Palm-leaf capitals of the Ptolemaic period -- Columns surmounted by heads of Hathor -- Small temple at Philae.
- Preface signed: Martin Brimmer., "These essays were written ... with the constant assistance and able coöperation of my niece and fellow-traveler, Mrs. John Jay Chapman. They are indeed not less her work than mine."--Preface., "Copyright, 1891, by Martin Brimmer"--Title page verso., Title page printed in red and black., Issued in binding designed by Sarah Wyman Whitman (unsigned), in gold-stamped vellum and in brown-stamped suede., and Rare Books copy is bound in gold-stamped vellum; transferred from Pattee-1 stacks with imperfections.
View MARC record | catkey: 593647