Spirit, the family, and the unconscious in Hegel's philosophy / David V. Ciavatta
- Ciavatta, David V., 1972-
- Albany : State University of New York Press, 
- Copyright Date:
- Physical Description:
- xii, 264 pages ; 24 cm
- Pt. 1. Recognition, Spirit, Ethicality -- 1. The Phenomenology of the Intersubjective World -- Pt. II. The Ethical Autonomy of the Family -- 2. The Family in the Phenomenology of Spirit: The Ethics of Non-Substitutability -- 3. The Family in the Philosophy of Right: The Ethics of Familiarity and Intercorporeality -- Pt. III. The Affective Basis of Familial Ethicality -- 4. Feeling at Home in the Familial World -- 5. Being in Rapport with the Other -- Pt. IV. Family Property as the Materiality of Recognition -- 6. Incorporating Things into the Life of Spirit.
- "This original study of the role that family life plays in Hegel's Phenomenology of Spirit and Philosophy of Right pays particular attention to Hegel's characterization of the family as an unconscious form of ethical life rooted essentially in affectivity. David V. Ciavatta also looks at Hegel's account of feeling in the "Anthropology" section of The Philosophy of Spirit, highlighting the inherently porous nature of the self, and this porosity is shown to be constitutive of the distinctive, unconscious form of intersubjective recognition that forms the core of family bonds. The book provides a rich understanding of the role that family has in one's psychological development with respect not only to other people, but also to the world and one's own identity. Incorporating existential, phenomenological, and psychoanalytic perspectives, Ciavatta offers insightful investigations of many basic Hegelian themes, such as spirit, perception, ethical agency, language, and property ownership."--BOOK JACKET.
- 9781438428710 (hardcover : alk. paper), 1438428715 (hardcover : alk. paper), 9781438428703 (pbk. : alk. paper), and 1438428707 (pbk. : alk. paper)
- Bibliography Note:
- Includes bibliographical references and index.
View MARC record | catkey: 5965508