The Jewish Neo-Aramaic dialect of Challa / by Steven E. Fassberg
- Fassberg, Steven E., 1956-
- Leiden ; Boston : Brill, 2010.
- Physical Description:
- xvii, 314 pages ; 25 cm.
- Studies in Semitic languages and linguistics, 0081-8461 ; v. 54
- Language Note:
- Contains parallel text in Aramaic and English.
- "Aramaic has been spoken uninterruptedly for more than 3000 years, yet a generation from now most Aramaic dialects will be extinct. The study of the Northeastern Neo-Aramaic (NENA) dialects has increased dramatically in the past decade as linguists seek to record these dialects before the disappearance of their last speakers. This work is a unique documentation of the now extinct Jewish Neo-Aramaic dialect of Challa (modern-day Cukurca, Turkey). It is based on recordings of the last native speaker of the dialect, who passed away in 2007. In addition to a grammatical description, it contains sample texts and a glossary of the dialect. Jewish Challa belongs to the cluster of NENA dialects known as 'lishana deni' and reference is made throughout to other dialects within this group."--BOOK JACKET.
- 9789004176829 (hardback : alk. paper) and 9004176829 (hardback : alk. paper)
- Bibliography Note:
- Includes bibliographical references (pages -314).
View MARC record | catkey: 5973264