The Life, history and tryal of Harry Smythee, Esq., who was try'd at the Lent Assizes held for the county of Dorset, 1741, and convicted for the murder of his sweet-heart Jane Mew, that was with child by him, whom he had deluded under the pretences of courtship and promises of marriage [electronic resource] : containing, I. How he was entertain'd at her father's house, II. His art to inveigle her away, III. His promises to marry her, IV. Her proving with child, V. An account of the horrid murder, VI. His flight and the apprehending of him and his commitment to Winchester Gaol, VII. His tryal, wherein are several curious arguments made use of by the learned council for and against the prisoner, VIII. His conviction and the sentence of death pass'd on him, IX. His last dying speech and devout behaviour from the time of his conviction to the time of his death, X. The particulars of his birth and parentage, XI. An account of his marriage with a rich lady at Pool, XII. With the Reverend Mr. Clark's remarks on the whole : to which is added a particular account of his behaviour whilst under sentence of death and his last dying words : this book is recommended by the Rev. Jeremiah Clark, D.D., to the perusal of young people and more particularly the fair sex, wherein they will be caution'd, by this lamentable example to guard against the wiles and stratagems of leud men, that endeavour to seduce them to forfeit their honour and virtue, which generally ends in shame and contempt
- Additional Titles:
- Life, history and trial of Harry Smythee, Esq., who was tried at the Lent Assizes held for the county of Dorset, 1741, and convicted for the murder of his sweet-heart Jane Mew, that was with child by him, whom he had deluded under the pretences of courtship and promises of marriage
- London : Printed by H. Goreham and sold by T. Cooper, [1741?]
- Physical Description:
- 40 pages
- Additional Creators:
- Smythee, Harry, -1741 and Clark, Jeremiah
- Reproduction of the original from the New York City Bar.
AVAILABLE ONLINE TO AUTHORIZED PSU USERS.
- Reproduction Note:
- Electronic reproduction. Farmington Hills, Mich. : Gale, a part of Cengage Learning, 2007. Available via the World Wide Web. Access limited by licensing agreements.
View MARC record | catkey: 6051654