Children's lives, children's futures : a study of children starting secondary school / Paul Croll, Gaynor Attwood, and Carol Fuller
- Continuum studies in educational research
- 1. Introduction -- 2. Children and the future -- 3. Educational futures: children's intentions for educational participation -- 4. Children's occupational choices -- 5. What children think about school -- 6. Children as learners -- 7. Early exits and negative attitudes -- 8. Present and future: schools, structure, agency -- Appendix 1. The research project -- Appendix 2. Supplementary tables.
- "Children's Lives, Children's Futures focuses on how children in their first year of high school feel about school, its place in their lives and its role in their futures. The study is grounded in educational studies, drawing on pupil voice and children's active role in education, and on the sociology of childhood where children are viewed as active constructors of their lives. In many Western societies there is concern that children from less advantaged social backgrounds have limited aspirations, and are disproportionately unlikely to go to university. Croll, Attwood and Fuller consider the nature of children's engagement with education, the choices and constraints they experience and the reasons some young people fail to take advantage of educational opportunities."--BOOK JACKET.
- 9781847062697 (hardcover)
- Bibliography Note:
- Includes bibliographical references.
View MARC record | catkey: 6055601