Megacities : the politics of urban exclusion and violence in the global south / edited by Kees Koonings and Dirk Kruijt
- London ; New York : Zed Books, 2009.
- Physical Description:
- viii, 200 pages : illustrations ; 25 cm
- Additional Creators:
- Koonings, Kees and Kruijt, Dirk
Full Text available online
By special arrangement in response to the COVID-19 pandemic, patrons may access this resource online through the HathiTrust Emergency Temporary Access Service.
- The rise of megacities and the urbanization of informality, exclusion and violence / Dirk Kruijt and Kees Koonings -- From popular movements to drug gangs to militias : an anatomy of violence in Rio de Janeiro / Robert Gay -- Megacity's violence and its consequences in Rio de Janeiro / Janice Perlman -- Coping with urban violence : state and community responses to crime and insecurity in Guayaquil, Ecuador / Caroline Moser -- Middle Eastern megacities : social exclusion, popular movements and the quiet encroachment of the urban poor / Asef Bayat -- Urban governance and the paradox of conflict / Jo Beall -- Shoot the citizen, save the customer : participatory budgeting and bare citizenship in Porto Alegre, Brazil / Sérgio Baierle -- Crisis of the state, violence in the city / Mariano Aguirre -- Urban exclusion and the (false) assumptions of spatial policy reform in South Africa / Susan Parnell and Owen Crankshaw -- Conclusions : governing exclusion and violence in megacities / Kees Koonings and Dirk Kruijt.
- Urban poor—Developing countries—Congresses
- Urban poor—Southern Hemisphere—Congresses
- Marginality, Social—Developing countries—Congresses
- Marginality, Social—Southern Hemisphere—Congresses
- Urban violence—Developing countries—Congresses
- Urban violence—Southern Hemisphere—Congresses
- Cities and towns—Developing countries—Growth—Congresses
- Cities and towns—Southern Hemisphere—Growth—Congresses
- Urbanization—Southern Hemisphere—Congresses
- Urbanization—Developing countries—Congresses
- Developing countries—Social conditions—Congresses
- Southern Hemisphere—Social conditions—Congresses
- 9781848132962 (pb), 1848132964 (pb), 9781848132955 (hb), 1848132956 (hb), 9781848134904 (eb), and 1848134908 (eb)
- "The chapters of this book were originally presented as draft papers at the conference 'The politics of urban poverty, exclusion and violence: comparative analysis and policy insights, ' organized in The Hague on 27 and 28 September 2007"--P. vii.
- Bibliography Note:
- Includes bibliographical references (pages 178-194) and index.
View MARC record | catkey: 6057220