American voyeur : dispatches from the far reaches of modern life / Benoit Denizet-Lewis
- Denizet-Lewis, Benoit
- New York : Simon & Schuster, 2010.
- 1st Simon & Schuster trade pbk. ed.
- Physical Description:
- xxii, 295 pages ; 22 cm
- About a boy who isn't -- God is rad -- Whatever happened to teen romance? -- Brother's keeper -- Kids Inc -- Camp life -- Trouble in paradise -- The war on frat culture -- Boy crazy -- Cosmetically correct -- Abercrombie nation -- What's in a street name? -- Double lives on the down low -- Get out of my closet! -- The newlywed gays! -- Regular guys.
- "Benoit Denizet-Lewis, one of the most perceptive and interesting journalists writing today, takes us into some unusual precincts of American society in American Voyeur." "Denizet-Lewis made news with his New York Times Magazine cover story "Double Lives on the Down Low," included here, which ignited a firestorm by revealing a subculture of African-American men who have sex with other men but who don't consider themselves gay. In American Voyeur, he also takes us inside a summer camp for pro-life teenagers, a New Hampshire town where two young brothers committed suicide, a social group for lipstick lesbians, a middle school where a girl secretly lives as a boy, a college where fraternity boys face the daunting prospect of sobriety, a state where legally married young gay men are turning out to be more like their parents than anyone might have suspected, a high school where dating has been replaced by "hooking up," and other intersections of youth culture and sexuality. Peer behind the curtain of modern American life with this remarkable collection."--BOOK JACKET.
- 9781416539155, 1416539158, 9781416594475 (ebook), and 1416594477 (ebook)
View MARC record | catkey: 6058422