Packaging life : cultures of the everyday / Pramod K. Nayar
- Nayar, Pramod K.
- New Delhi ; Thousand Oaks, Calif. : Sage, 
- Copyright Date:
- Physical Description:
- xxv, 218 pages ; 22 cm
- Introduction. Packaging life -- 1. Life, the low-calorie edition : cultures of health -- 2. Life, the deluxe edition : cultures of comfort -- 3. Life, the bubble-wrapped edition : cultures of risk -- 4. Life, the high-speed edition : cultures of mobility -- Conclusion. Unpacking.
- "Packaging Life: Cultures of the Everyday is a study of the cultural politics of four aspects of everyday life - health, comfort, risk and mobility - as manifest in public culture. The book explores the commodification of these aspects, arguing that our experience and perception of these are mediated by discourses circulating in the mass media." "'Unpacking' cultural politics, this book demonstrates, is the disentangling of the insidious regulatory frames of representation so that we generate dissident reading practices for public culture. The book is an essential reading for those who want to understand modern urban cultural rhetorics. Scholars and practitioners working in the fields of media and communication, consumer behaviour studies and cultural studies will find it highly engaging as well as provocative."--BOOK JACKET.
- 9788132102403 (hbk. : alk. paper)
8132102401 (hbk. : alk. paper)
- Bibliography Note:
- Includes bibliographical references (pages -216) and index.
View MARC record | catkey: 6058432